Through the successful partnership between Heartland and the New Harbor team members, the company more than doubled in size, growing from nearly 200 offices to over 400 offices in a span of 4.5 years. As a result of this success, Heartland received significant interest from potential buyers, ultimately being acquired in a majority recapitalization transaction by Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (OTPP) in late 2012. Dr. Rick Workman, the Active Executive Chairman & Founder of Heartland, is the Chairman of New Harbor’s Executive Advisor Committee.
- Built a Board of Directors. Established strategic board of directors, including with three outside board members to provide business, organizational and industry insights.
- Built management team. While Heartland had a strong team in place, New Harbor guided enhancements to the organization wherein several existing personnel were elevated into new roles and complemented by key strategic hires, such as a CFO and VP of Marketing.
- Guided corporate development. Created a dedicated business development team to oversee the addition and integration of new offices through both affiliations and de novos.
- Talent recruitment and retention. Established a program for recruiting and retaining top dentists, including financial and non-financial incentives (including a professional development / training & education program).
- Supported gains in productivity. Invested in a centralized call center and sophisticated data systems.